I told you I went on a Laurel craze when this pattern was first released. I’m currently pondering what fabric I have in my stash would make another cute version. Part of this craze was inspired by a contest Colette Patterns was running. My goal was to enter in each category. I don’t think I quite succeeded, but I had fun making them.
This version was a concept I imagined for my sister. My first thoughts were to use yellow linen. Yellow is one of her favourite colours. I planned to make it sleeveless. To line the neckline and arm holes, I planned to use a blue piping. It sounded good in my head. Then I discovered that my local shop didn’t have a yellow linen. While searching for an alternative, I found a yellow eyelet fabric. I knew she would love it. Since it was a lighter fabric, I lined it with a coordinating Kona cotton. I decided on a green piping for the arms and neck.
Conveniently, one of the versions included in the pattern is designed with an underlining. The difference between an underlining and a lining is simple. An underlining is sewn together with the outside fabric. This means there are no seams showing between the outer fabric and the inside fabric. (I didn’t sew it that way!) I had to be difficult because I had to make the dress sleeveless.
Instead, I attached the piping to the sleeve and arm edges. Then I followed the tutorial from Green Apples on how to line a sleeveless dress. This tutorial has changed my life! I love how simple her instructions are on how to sew the lining. I no longer have to hand stitch a little opening closed. I love it!
To finish the dress, I just stitched the sides together in one long seam. To make sure the arm seam lay flat, I top-stitched around the arm holes just inside the piping.
I believe on my next version, I am going to add side seam pockets. I have discovered a love for pockets on dresses.