I have been making progress on my dress for the wedding. I have a couple of weeks to take my time and concentrate on the details. Though I expect to be finished this week. I am also working on a handful of other projects for my two Etsy shops: 64 Color Box and Splendid Play.
Prior to Monday, I had already washed and ironed the fabric. I had also cut out the pattern pieces except for the jacket lining. I ran out of fabric. I had planned on picking up more of the Kona cotton in white, but decided on a pink that matches the pink in the seersucker. That fabric is now washed and ready to be cut out.
Tuesday I took the plunge and started sewing. It had been awhile since I’ve added a border to an edge that isn’t straight. I had some problems making certain the points and seams lined up. My seam ripper was working overtime! Next time, I will leave off the contrasting fabric border. I was considering leaving it off this dress, however I wasn’t sure the bodice would be high enough without it. Now that I’ve made it once, the next dress will be made without the border.
After considering it on Tuesday and deciding against top-stitching, I decided to add the stitching when I got back to sewing on Wednesday. I like the finished look it gives to clothes. I also stitched right along the seam between the border and the seersucker. I wanted to be certain the lining and the bodice stayed lined up after washing.
My challenge for today came in the form of tucks. The white band of fabric that forms the midriff is detailed with pin tucks. The problem started with the directions which read: To make tucks on midriff front…bring broken lines together. If you look at the photo of the pattern piece, you will see that all of the lines are dashed in the exact same way. The only clue for the placement of the tucks was the word TUCK printed every other line.
So far I am delighted with the progress. I think now that I have the front of the bodice complete, the rest should continue fairly smoothly.