This week I am joining in the fun with a group of sewers committed to crafting the perfect summer dress in the coming weeks. Some have committed to a number of dresses. A few, like me are making one at a time. My first dress of the challenge will be the dress I am wearing to my brother’s wedding in early July.
I started the process of finding the correct dress in mid-March. I began my search at modcloth.com. I enjoy spending time looking through the many dresses available for sale. Even with the great prices, often a dress is still a bit more than I prefer to pay for a dress. I do look to them for inspiration. On this particular day, I found the almost perfect dress. It’s made of pink gingham with a sweetheart neckline and white empire waistband. I adore the three little buttons. My only dislike is the length; I felt it should maybe be a bit longer for a wedding.
Since my skills as a pattern maker are still in the developmental stages, I began searching for a similar pattern. I settled on Simplicity pattern number 2886. I will be making view C. I will also be making the jacket since the wedding is outdoors and in South Dakota. I don’t plan on making many changes to the pattern. I will be adding buttons like the dress from modcloth.com. I am still undecided about having a contrasting stripe at the bottom of the skirt.
My main fabric is a pink and white seersucker. The pattern is very similar to gingham, but on seersucker fabric. I am using white Kona cotton for the waistband, contrasting hem, and jacket. The jacket will be lined with a solid pink Kona cotton.
I found a huge white button in a clearance bin for 25 cents. I am deciding between a few options from my supply of buttons for the three little buttons for the bodice. If you have a suggestion, I would like to hear it.